The Museum of Modern Art is a place that fuels creativity, ignites minds, and provides inspiration. With extraordinary exhibitions and the world’s finest collection of modern and contemporary art, MoMA is dedicated to the conversation between the past and the present, the established and the experimental. Our mission is helping you understand and enjoy the art of our time.
MoMA Building History
November 1929—The Museum of Modern Art opens in the Heckscher Building at 730 Fifth Avenue (corner of Fifth Avenue and 57th Street). Exhibition galleries, offices, and a library are housed on the 12th floor.
May 1932—The Museum moves to a five-story townhouse at 11 West 53rd Street, leased from John D. Rockefeller, Jr.
May 1939—The Museum marks its 10th anniversary with a new “International Style” building designed by Philip L. Goodwin and Edward Durell Stone at 11 West 53rd Street.
Summer 1951—The seven-story Grace Rainey Rogers Annex, designed by Philip Johnson, opens at 21 West 53rd Street, adjacent to the original 1939 building (the annex is razed in 1979 to make room for the new West Wing).
1953—The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Sculpture Garden, designed by Philip Johnson, is dedicated.
May 1964—The Museum marks its 35th anniversary with the opening of the renovated building at 11 West 53rd Street. Philip Johnson’s design includes a new East Wing, a Garden Wing, new galleries, and a renovated lobby.
1977—Cesar Pelli selected to design West Wing expansion.
May 1984—New West Wing and Museum expansion designed by Pelli includes an expanded Garden Wing and a completely refurbished Sculpture Garden.
December 1997—Museum selects Yoshio Taniguchi’s design for renovation and expansion of the Museum from an international field of ten architects.
Spring 2001—Construction of the new Museum begins.
May 2002—The Museum closes its 11 West 53rd Street location.
June 2002-September 27, 2004—Exhibition program at MoMA QNS, a former staple factory redesigned by Michael Maltzan and Cooper, Robertson & Partners.
November 20, 2004—The newly expanded and renovated Museum opens to the public at 11 West 53rd Street, marking the Museum’s 75th anniversary year.
November 28, 2006—The Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman Education and Research Building opens at 4 West 54th Street.